A flow meter is necessary for the task at hand. You know that. What you do not know is how to choose the right one for your task. But, there are some very good tools to help you decide. First of all, a flow meter is a device that is used to measure liquid or a gas in linear, nonlinear, mass or volumetric rates. Now, on to selecting the right flow meter for the task ahead!
Here are some things to consider about your needs that will lead you to choosing the proper flow meter.
• What type of fluid will you measure? For example, air or water? The flow meters will depend on this information.
• Totalization or rate measurement? It depends on what you need here.
• What is the viscosity of the liquid? This is assuming that it is not water.
• Will the fluid that you need to measure be clean?
• Local display or an electronic signal output? Which is the preferred choice here, or perhaps the necessary choice?
• What is the flow rate maximum and minimum for the flow meter?
• What is the max and the min for the process pressure?
From this point, you will want to make sure that the flow meter that you choose fits with the specification that you have listed. It can be quite simple to find the product that you need especially when you make your purchase through the web.
There are many information portals now devoted to the subject and we recommend reading about it at one of these. Try googling for “flow meter info” and you will be surprised by the abundance of information on the subject. Alternatively you may try looking on Yahoo, MSN or even a decent directory site, all are good sources of this information.